Forget that breakfast-in-bed pampering Moms get on Mother’s Day. Pops prefer primal hunkering down in spaces built for chest beating.
To celebrate Father’s Day, online real estate giant Move.com recently reviewed listings looking for guys who make up their own rooms and found them in basements, garages, sheds and other places guys gather to be guys.
These Men’s Rooms come equipped with the expected video game consoles, massive home theaters, pool and poker tables, bar stools and bars, recliners and modular seating in both sophisticated and man-tastic decors.
Move says a recent survey found nearly 40 percent of respondents have their own man cave, while 13 percent are in the planning stages of their amped-up gadget-filled crash pads. Hobby rooms and entertainment and sports themes top the list.
The rooms can be selling points for buyers looking for a home with a man cave already carved out.
“Anything goes when it comes to designing a cave and nothing is too extreme or too simple,” said Christian Rohrer, senior director of design for the Move Network.
” ‘Bro-zone’ appeal is not limited to budgets, but rather an individual’s imagination. Some men are happy with a simple DJ room, while others have moved away from giant screen televisions into full theater projector screens. It should be a reflection of personality combined with functionality,” Rohrer said.
Pool tables, foosball tables, air hockey and neon signs are among popular items sold at TheManCaveStore.com.
“This year, we have seen a huge surge in demand for home skee ball machines, and an increase in the number of women who are buying items to furnish their man’s cave,” said Lonny Morgan, store owner.
Some examples include rooms for the
• Card Shark – This Austin, TX man cave is hunting-themed, with a bear playing billiards, but centered around card playing.
• Arcade Ace – There’s so much rumble power in this Westlake Village, CA arcade room it rates an 8 on the Richter scale.
• Flick Fanatic – Playing to your Basic Instincts, whatever happens in this Las Vegas home theater stays in this Las Vegas theater — with a juke box and arcade games for intermission.
• Short Order Cook – A supersized diner lets you eat out while staying in.
• Pool Hustler – In Pinehurst, NC a traditional man cave doubles as in in-home Irish Pub, complete with pool table, large TVs and lots of plaid.
• Ping Pong Pop – Table sports, a crackling fire and a wall of windows turns this Orlando, FL room into a cave with a view.